Ads 468x60px

.

Another one bites the dust



Watching the screen flash up this morning to one of my most frequently visited news sources telling me that they too had decided to hide behind a pay wall was extremely disappointing. What I don't like at all, is the way we're being made to feel like we were stealing before, shamelessly consuming content and offering nothing in return.

I'm sorry though, that simply isn't the case. A pay wall, in my opinion is an absolute cop out of a solution to a problem that has been rumbling on for some time now. Yes, I know that papers are struggling to survive on advertising revenue alone and yes, I appreciate that without changes there could be nothing at all, but simply barricading yourself up behind a pay wall and hoping for the best lacks creativity and goes against everything the Internet stands for. It's the free and vast information on the web that has made it such a glorious success.

It gives consumers a negative vibe to your product, it seems desperate and most importantly it gets regular viewers looking around for alternatives. That's certainly what I'll be doing for the aforementioned site. We need to be really careful what road we're going down here. Everyone seems to have started jumping together and quite simply, where does it end?

You have reached the end of this article. Your bill comes to £2.89. Thanks for stopping by.

0 comments:

Post a Comment