Ads 468x60px

.

Race Against the Machine



I often spend my days battling against machines, and unfortunately not in a cool John Connor v Terminator way. No, my battle is more a battle of the mind as apposed to big things exploding in the background whilst I drive off on a Harley spouting witty one liners under my breath.

Having software designed to uncover specific triggers in the vast world of the Internet usually puts me into competitive mode. Determined that I can find exactly the same things the software can I'll pit myself in a one V one contest to see who can find relevant material first. In a rather depressing twist, this morning I realised I was in a race I can simply never win.

My defeat was confirmed by an innocent looking article in a local paper I was scanning for news. I was put off the story by it's title, it's opening paragraph and the companies involved in the piece (so not a great looking item really). Shortly after I discovered that the automated software had picked the story up. Ready to gloat in it's face triumphantly it was then I realised that right in the middle of the article, completely unrelated to anything proceeding it, was a sales trigger for the particular company in question.

Automation is not put off by hunches. It is not distracted by irrelevances. It effortlessly seeks out exactly what it's looking for no matter the circumstance. I hear people say with automation you risk missing things. In fact, it is completely the opposite scenario.

0 comments:

Post a Comment